Q:  How is my scholarship distributed?
A:  Half of your scholarship ($500) is deposited directly into your bursar account at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.

Q:  Am I required to work on a project in my major?
A:  NO. Your project can be in any discipline or interdisciplinary.

Q:  Am I required to work on an independent research project?
NO. You can work on part of an established research program.  However, remember that your participation should be a collaborative effort between you and your mentor that allows you to develop your research skills.

Q:  Can I work under the supervision of a graduate student mentor?
A:  YES. You can work with a graduate student so long as the their faculty advisor has agreed to the arrangement and will serve as your official faculty mentor.

Q:  What happens if I do not submit a Progress Report and/or it is not confirmed by a Mentor Agreement?
A:   You will not receive the second half of your scholarship ($500).

Q:  How many credit hours must I take to stay in the program?
A:   You need to complete 12 credit hours per semester in the fall and spring semesters of the program year.

Q:  What GPA do I need to maintain to stay in the program?
A:   You must maintain at least a 3.0 institutional GPA.

Q:  Is there a way to continue participation even if I fail to meet one or more of the requirements?
A:   YES.  You may be offered the opportunity to submit an appeal to explain extenuating circumstances that resulted in your failure to meet the minimum program requirements.

Q:  Am I required to present at the Scholar Development Symposium?
A:  YES.  We want to see what you’ve done.

Q:  What do I do if I haven’t completed any research or my results aren’t complete?
A:  You still must present your methodology and anticipated results at the FRS Colloquium, explaining as much of your research as possible.

Q: Who do I talk to if I am having trouble finding a faculty mentor?
A:  See “Finding a Faculty Mentor.”

Q: Do I need to be enrolled in university payroll to participate in the program?
NO.  The scholarship you receive for your participation in the program is not paid through the payroll system.

Q: What do I do if I am asked to complete Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) Training?
A:  See “Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) Training.”

Q: What do I do if I am asked to submit my project to the Institutional Review Board (IRB)?
A:  See “Research Compliance and IRB.”

Q: Am I allowed to be confused about what to do?
A:  NO.  Seek the assistance of your program director, college coordinator or faculty mentor if you are confused.